Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Circle Skirt Tutorial




What you will need:
Materials
Step 1: Chalk it
Elastic band, thread, pins and needles, chalk, and a pair of scissors

Step 1: 
Chalk out a quarter circle out of you fabric that you folded in half twice 
**Make sure the folds are on the left side and bottom 
Step 2: Cut it
Step 3: Cut inner circle

Step 2:
Cut out the chalked area
**I neglected to use any measurements, so this skirt is more of an oval than a circle  

Step 3:
Cut out another 4th of a circle in the bottom left hand corner
 (This will be 
the middle of the skirt)

Step 4: Pin it
Step 4: Sew it
 Step 4:
I was silly and I didn't check where the folds were and instead of making a complete circle, I made two halves so I had to sew it back together. 
If you had the folds on the right sides, you skip this step


Step 5:
Step 6: Measure band 
Step 5:
Here is the skirt pictured with the inner circle. 

Step 6:
Now you have to create your waist-band. I used a string to measure my waist and then I cut out a strip of fabric the same length, and about 3 inches wide.

**It shouldn't be folded in half, I realized that after                                  **Keep the string for step 11
taking this picture and cut in in half, using only half of it. 

Step 7: Sew it
Step 8: Watch the video
Step 7:
Sew the ends of the waist band together. 

Step 8:
Now you attach the band to the skirt, with the elastic band. **A video describing this is posted at the bottom of this post.  

Step 10: Slip
Step 9: 
 Step 9:
Here is the skirt with the waist band and elastic band attached. 

Step 10:
This fabric is a little see-through, so I decided to add a built-in slip.

Step 11: Measure it 
Step 12: Sew it. 
Step 11:
Use the string from the previous step to cut out a piece of fabric to match your waist size + 1 inch, and whatever length you want.

Step 12:
I hand stitched the slip to the inside of my skirt, right under the waist band. 

Front View
Side View
Step 13:
In one added detail, I cut the front of the skirt a little bit shorter to create a high-low skirt. 

Finito! 
Congratulations! Here is your complete circle/oval skirt!!

Back View



         

Skip to 7:30-11:40 for the waist band tutorial! 

No comments:

Post a Comment